The Design Futures Council names six professionals as its Emerging Leaders for 2013.
The Design Futures Council has named six professionals as its Emerging Leaders for 2013. These individuals will receive registration scholarships to attend the 12th annual Leadership Summit on Sustainable Design in Minneapolis Oct. 6-8. The scholarship is sponsored by DuPont Building Innovations.
“At DuPont, we’re focused on reducing the world’s dependence on fossil fuels, and that’s one of the reasons why the Design Futures Council is important to us,” said Doug Baker, Americas director of DuPont Building Innovations and a Design Futures Council Executive Board member. “Providing scholarships for the Emerging Leaders initiative is our way of investing in the energy, talent, and fresh perspective of these young professionals who will influence and shape the future of sustainable design.”
The Design Future Council’s annual Leadership Summit on Sustainable Design brings together a delegation of 100 people from the world’s most influential architecture, engineering, and construction firms to identify change drivers, analyze emerging data, and explore innovation in sustainable design.
One of the Design Futures Council’s missions is to identify and recognize future leaders who are having – and will increasingly have – an impact on design practices, design professions, and the community. The Emerging Leaders scholarship program, now in its seventh year, addresses this goal by selecting individuals who represent the future of design practice in terms of its broadening scope, service to society, sustainable design, and technological innovation.
The 2013 honorees are:
- Jack Forinash is a graduate of Auburn University who served in the AmeriCorps VISTA program working with a rural community in Utah. He co-founded the nonprofit, Epicenter.
- Ned Dodington is a graduate of Rice University and co-founder of the Caroline Collective, Houston’s first transdisciplinary co-working space where he is a leader in the new field of biologic design.
- Allison McKenzie is a graduate of the University of Cincinnati and an environmental pioneer who is spearheading strategy for the 2030 Zero Carbon Commitment at her firm, SHP Leading Design and elsewhere in Ohio.
- Ellen Mitchell is a graduate of the University of Texas at Arlington who is the DesignGreen Coordinator with HKS. She orchestrated 30 LEED projects totaling $2.4 billion dollars of construction.
- Luke Voiland is a graduate of MIT and the youngest member ever elected to Shepley Bulfinch’s board of directors. He is a passionate promoter of best-practice metrics and he conceived and led the “2% for Innovation” initiative.
- Trinity Simons is a graduate of the University of Arkansas and MIT’s planning program. She has served as a National Vice President of the American Institute of Architecture Students and is a leader in the understanding of the contemporary role that design plays in community development.
About the Design Futures Council
The Design Futures Council is an interdisciplinary network of design, product, and construction leaders exploring global trends, challenges, and opportunities to advance innovation and shape the future of the industry and environment. Members include leading architecture and design firms, dynamic manufacturers, service providers, and forward-thinking A/E/C firms of all sizes that take an active interest in their future. DesignIntelligence, a bi-monthly journal of cutting-edge research, practical advice, and peer-to-peer information exchange, is the Design Futures Council’s official publication, published by Greenway Communications.
About the DuPont Building Innovations
DuPont Building Innovations, a strategic business unit of DuPont (NYSE:DD) helps residential and commercial builders, architects, general contractors, engineers and their teams determine the best, highest-performing solutions that meet the unique needs of their projects. From DuPont™ Tyvek® Weatherization Systems to DuPont™ Corian® solid surfaces, DuPont™ Zodiaq® quartz surfaces and more, DuPont Building Innovations is committed to increasing the performance of building systems and creating more sustainable structures.
DuPont™, Tyvek®, Corian® and Zodiaq® are trademarks or registered trademarks of DuPont.