Which schools are best preparing students for success in the design professions?
For more than 15 years, "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools" from DesignIntelligence has been the definitive school ranking in four key disciplines: architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and industrial design.
The America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools survey is conducted annually by DesignIntelligence on behalf of the Design Futures Council. The research ranks undergraduate and graduate programs from the perspective of leading practitioners. The 16th annual survey was conducted in mid-2015.
Selected professional practice leaders with direct experience hiring and supervising recent architecture and design graduates are invited to participate in the research. Survey participants, who are drawn from the Design Futures Council database of leading firms throughout the United States, must verify they are currently responsible for hiring or supervising design professionals. Surveys from non-qualifying individuals are excluded from the results.
A total of 1,426 professional practice organizations participated in the research for the four professions surveyed.
The professional practice survey posed participants the question, “In your firm’s hiring experience in the past five years, which schools are best preparing students for a future in the profession and designing a sustainable future?” In addition, practitioners are asked about which programs are best in teaching skills such as design, communication, sustainability, and technology. The rankings are based on their responses.
Below are the top schools in each of the four disciplines covered by the survey: architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and industrial design.
*Where more than one school receives the same number of votes, the schools are given the same numerical ranking, and the next rank is omitted.
Note: the full report—including architecture programs ranked 11-35 and related rankings for interior design, landscape architecture, and industrial design programs—is now available as an instand download PDF. You can also pre-order the print edition, shipping out on November 15.
Related interview: Architectural Record asks James P. Cramer, chairman of the Design Futures Council, to address changes he sees confronting architectural education today.
The C-Suite is in a transition — one that will change the structure of marketing and business development functions. Read full »
Bob Fisher of DesignIntelligence interviews Steve McConnell, managing partner of NBBJ, about his recent presentation at the Design Futures Council’s Leadership Summit on the Business of Design. Read full »
How space shapes the context for what we do and how we do it Read full »
DesignIntelligence publishes the industry’s definitive and most trusted design school rankings as determined by practitioners.
In the biggest issue of DesignIntelligence ever published, "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools 2016" presents a definitive analysis of architecture and design programs across the United States.
168 pages, full color
The 16th Annual Rankings
No student, prospective student, school counselor or hiring manager should be without it. Inside the updated and expanded 2016 edition:
- 35 best undergraduate and graduate architecture schools
- 15 best undergraduate and graduate landscape architecture schools
- 10 best undergraduate and graduate interior design schools
- 10 best undergraduate and graduate industrial design schools
- Regional rankings of undergraduate and graduate architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and industrial design programs
- Student Surveys from more than 4,400 respondents
- Programs most admired by academic deans and chairs
- Schools that are best preparing students in design, communication, sustainability and other skills
Directory of Leading U.S. Architecture and Design Programs
DesignIntelligence 25 Most Admired Educators for 2016
And much more…
DI.net RSS Feeds
DI.net on Twitter
- Two Qualities You Need to Succeed in an Architecture Career | ArchDaily ow.ly/zvik300zNT040 minutes ago by @dinet
- How To Uncover Strategic Leadership In Your Company - Forbes ow.ly/2aoC300zmg03 hours ago by @dinet
- 7 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Eileen Gray - Core77 ow.ly/ejga300xAKH19 hours ago by @dinet