Which schools are best preparing students for success in the design professions?
For more than 15 years, "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools" from DesignIntelligence has been the definitive school ranking in four key disciplines: architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and industrial design.
The America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools survey is conducted annually by DesignIntelligence on behalf of the Design Futures Council. The research ranks undergraduate and graduate programs from the perspective of leading practitioners. The 16th annual survey was conducted in mid-2015.
Selected professional practice leaders with direct experience hiring and supervising recent architecture and design graduates are invited to participate in the research. Survey participants, who are drawn from the Design Futures Council database of leading firms throughout the United States, must verify they are currently responsible for hiring or supervising design professionals. Surveys from non-qualifying individuals are excluded from the results.
A total of 1,426 professional practice organizations participated in the research for the four professions surveyed.
The professional practice survey posed participants the question, “In your firm’s hiring experience in the past five years, which schools are best preparing students for a future in the profession and designing a sustainable future?” In addition, practitioners are asked about which programs are best in teaching skills such as design, communication, sustainability, and technology. The rankings are based on their responses.
Below are the top schools in each of the four disciplines covered by the survey: architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and industrial design.
*Where more than one school receives the same number of votes, the schools are given the same numerical ranking, and the next rank is omitted.
Note: the full report—including architecture programs ranked 11-35 and related rankings for interior design, landscape architecture, and industrial design programs—is now available as an instand download PDF. You can also pre-order the print edition, shipping out on November 15.
Related interview: Architectural Record asks James P. Cramer, chairman of the Design Futures Council, to address changes he sees confronting architectural education today.
From America's Best Architecture & Design Schools Read full »
An interview with Diana Davis, co-founder of Perkins + Will’s Innovation Incubator Read full »
Opening Remarks from the Co-Moderator of the Design Futures Council Leadership Summit on the Business of Design. Read full »
The C-Suite is in a transition — one that will change the structure of marketing and business development functions. Read full »
DesignIntelligence publishes the industry’s definitive and most trusted design school rankings as determined by practitioners.
In the biggest issue of DesignIntelligence ever published, "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools 2016" presents a definitive analysis of architecture and design programs across the United States.
168 pages, full color
The 16th Annual Rankings
No student, prospective student, school counselor or hiring manager should be without it. Inside the updated and expanded 2016 edition:
- 35 best undergraduate and graduate architecture schools
- 15 best undergraduate and graduate landscape architecture schools
- 10 best undergraduate and graduate interior design schools
- 10 best undergraduate and graduate industrial design schools
- Regional rankings of undergraduate and graduate architecture, landscape architecture, interior design and industrial design programs
- Student Surveys from more than 4,400 respondents
- Programs most admired by academic deans and chairs
- Schools that are best preparing students in design, communication, sustainability and other skills
Directory of Leading U.S. Architecture and Design Programs
DesignIntelligence 25 Most Admired Educators for 2016
And much more…
DI.net RSS Feeds
DI.net on Twitter
- The Hidden Security Bugs in Architecture That You Never Noticed | Atlas Obscura ow.ly/5k9t301BFE32 days ago by @dinet
- These Radical Ideas Show How Nature Can Inform Sustainable Design | Co.Exist | ow.ly/Fm0T301BGib3 days ago by @dinet
- Manifold Garden: Inside the Architecture-Inspired New Video Game - Curbed ow.ly/i3dy301BD693 days ago by @dinet