Which schools are best preparing students for success in architecture?
Note: the full report—including Architecture programs ranked 11-20 and related rankings for interior design, landscape architecture, and industrial design programs—is now available in print and PDF editions.
For over a decade, "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools" from DesignIntelligence has been the definitive school ranking as determined by practitioners who employ design professionals.
America’s Best Architecture & Design Schools is conducted annually by DesignIntelligence on behalf of the Design Futures Council. The research ranks undergraduate and graduate programs from the perspective of leading practitioners. This 15th annual survey was conducted in mid-2014.
Selected professional practice leaders with direct experience hiring and supervising the performance of recent architecture and design graduates are invited to participate in the research. Survey participants, who are drawn from the Greenway Group database of leading firms throughout the United States, must verify they are currently responsible for hiring or supervising design professionals in each of the design fields for which they respond: architecture, industrial design, interior design, and landscape architecture. Surveys from non-qualifying individuals are excluded from the results.
For the four professions surveyed, a total of 1,426 professional practice organizations participated in the research.
The professional practice survey queried participants on the question, “In your firm’s hiring experience in the past five years, which of the following schools are best preparing students for success in the profession?” In addition, they are queried about additional issues, such as how programs rate in teaching various skills.
The Top 10 Undergraduate Architecture Programs - 2015
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
University of Texas at Austin
Rhode Island School of Design
Southern California Institute of Architecture
University of Southern California
The Top 10 Graduate Architecture Programs - 2015
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Virginia
University of California, Berkeley
Washington University in St. Louis
Note: Where more than one school receives the same number of votes, the schools are given the same numerical ranking, and the next rank is omitted.
Note: Respondents selected from lists of programs accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board.
From America's Best Architecture & Design Schools Read full »
Tackling the ubiquitous, disruptive nature of exponentially increasing computing power Read full »
A promising prototype for architectural education Read full »
DesignIntelligence publishes the industry’s definitive and most trusted design school rankings as determined by practitioners.
In the biggest issue of DesignIntelligence ever published, "America's Best Architecture & Design Schools 2015" presents a definitive analysis of architecture and design programs across the United States.
172 pages, full color
The 15th Annual Rankings
No student, prospective student, school counselor or hiring manager should be without it. Inside the updated and expanded 2015 edition:
- 20 best undergraduate and graduate architecture schools
- 15 best undergraduate and graduate landscape architecture schools
- 10 best undergraduate and graduate interior design schools
- 10 best undergraduate and graduate industrial design schools
- Regional rankings of undergraduate and graduate architecture schools
- Regional rankings of undergraduate and graduate landscape architecture schools
- Regional rankings of undergraduate and graduate interior design schools
- Regional rankings of undergraduate and graduate industrial design schools
- Student Surveys More than 3,840 students rate their satisfaction
- Architecture Student Survey
- Landscape Architecture Student Survey
- Interior Design Student Survey
- Industrial Design Student Survey
- Programs most admired by academic deans and chairs
- Schools that are best preparing students in design, communication, and other specific skills
Directory of Leading U.S. Architecture and Design Programs
DesignIntelligence 30 Most Admired Educators for 2015
And much more…